Important Notice:

Temporary hours for Village facilities are Monday-Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. for elderly and vulnerable populations only, 10:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. for the general public. Closed Saturday. 

Frequently Asked Questions (Forestry)

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Where can I drop off my Christmas tree?
When is branch pick-up?
Where can I get wood chips?
What is the best way to mulch my tree?
I think my tree is dead, who should I contact?
How often are Village trees trimmed?

Forestry Spring/Summer 2018 – At a Glance (PDF)


Where can I drop off my Christmas tree?
Christmas Tree drop off follows the Christmas holiday. There are three drop off locations in the Village of Hoffman Estates.

  • Public Works Fleet Services Building, 2405 Pembroke Avenue
  • The field next to Fire Station 23, 1300 Westbury Drive
  • The field adjacent to Fire Station 24, 5775 Beacon Pointe Drive

Signage will direct residents to drop-off areas at all locations. Additional information regarding Christmas Tree drop off will be available at online at  and in the Citizen.

When is branch pick-up?
Branch pick-up happens twice a year – in Spring (April/May) and Fall (September/October). Please review the Hoffman Estates Citizen or website for dates and locations.

All branches must be placed curbside prior to 7:00 a.m. the Monday of your designated week for branch pick-up. The Village is unable to return for branches placed curbside if they are not available for collection at that time.

Where can I get wood chips?
Woodchips make excellent mulch for trees, shrubs, and planting beds. Free woodchips can be picked up at the Public Works Fleet Maintenance Facility (2405 Pembroke Ave., Hoffman Estates) weekdays after 3:00 pm or anytime on the weekend. Contact Public Works prior to pick-up at (847) 490-6800 to ensure availability.

Deliveries of one-half (4 cubic yards) or a full truckload (8 cubic yards) can be requested at no charge. A half load is approximately four cubic yards (approximately four washing machine boxes) producing a woodchip pile that will cover a typical (double car width) driveway apron approximately three feet high.

Contact the Public Works Department during normal business hours.  Delivery is only offered to Hoffman Estates residents. Wood chips are delivered to residents as time permits, and cannot be scheduled for a certain date or time.

What is the best way to mulch my tree?
Placing mulch around trees can help them thrive and maintain a healthy condition throughout the growing season. Mulching slows evaporation of soil moisture thus increasing the availability of this moisture as well as nutrients in the soil for the tree's root system. While mulching benefits trees in a number of ways, improper installation of this material can be harmful to the tree. Excessive mulch depth inhibits the flow of needed oxygen to the trees' root zone and can cause root system decay and smothering. Piling mulch against the trunk attracts insects and rodents which may feed on the trunk and subject the tree to decay.

Proper installation practices involve placing mulch to a depth of no more than 4 inches over the root zone of the tree in a saucer-like fashion so as to keep the material away from the trees trunk and open to the air. This permits moisture to be maintained for the root zone but allows the trunk to stay dry preventing decay and insect and/or rodent damage.

I think my tree is dead, who should I contact?
The Village is only responsible for parkway trees. If you believe the parkway tree is dead, please contact the Public Works Department.

Trees on private property are responsibility of the homeowner. If you need a tree removed or trimmed, please contact a private contractor.

How often are Village trees trimmed?

Parkway trees are the property and responsibility of the Village. Most trees are trimmed on a four to six year cycle. A majority of tree trimming is performed during the late fall and winter months.
Please contact the Public Works Department if your parkway tree has broken or hanging branches, or if it has been damaged by a storm.


 Public Works Department - (847) 490-6800 -

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer