Options for residents to dispose of yard waste
- Yard waste stickers: Yard waste stickers may be purchased at Village Hall, directly from Groot, via the Village's website, or from local retailers. Stickers are $2.95 each. Yard waste stickers are available for purchase as of March 30.
- Subscription service: Residents who wish to sign up for a yard waste subscription should contact Groot directly at 800-244-1977. The subscription allows for unlimited yard waste pickup from April 1 through Nov. 30.
- Alternative/Composting: Residents who wish to reduce or avoid yard waste costs should use mulching mowers, leaf shredders, or backyard compost piles. Click here (PDF) for the Village's yard waste composting regulations.
By contract, yard waste collection occurs from the beginning of April through the end of November, only.
Acceptable yard waste: Illinois state law prohibits the land-filling of yard waste, as follows:
- Grass clippings and leaves
- Branches and brush
- Planting materials: garden plants, flowers, weeds, vines, bark pieces, pine cones, etc.
Unacceptable materials (treat as garbage):
- Garden vegetables and fruit (may be compostable)
- Tree trunks, stumps, and large limbs
- Fence posts, railroad ties, firewood, and other wood objects
- Sod, earth, and rocks
Bags and bundles
Residents who wish to set out their yard waste at the curb for collection must use 30-gallon biodegradable Kraft paper bags designed for yard waste. No plastic bags are acceptable. Branches that do not fit into bags must be bundled.
Bags and bundles must each be stickered with a yard waste disposal sticker. Affix disposal stickers to bags so that they are visible from the street. Wrap disposal stickers around a branch in the bundle.
Yard waste toters (95 Gal.) are available for rent (with an annual yard waste subscription) by calling Groot at 1-800-244-1977.
Yard waste sticker purchase locations
Free Seasonal Branch Pickup and Drop Off Programs
Hoffman Estates offers a free curbside tree branch pickup program in spring and fall. This program is for residents covered by the Village refuse collection contract. Routes and dates have been established for various sections of the community.
Typically, the spring program runs from the end of April through May and the fall program runs from the end of September through October. Dates vary each year. The schedule for each zone (A-D) is published seasonally in the Village's newsletter (April and September).
See accepted materials and preparation instructions for branch pickup program