I would like to dispose of:
Household Hazardous Waste
Hazardous materials, such as insecticides and oil-based paint, cannot -- by law -- be disposed via the regular garbage pickup. Due to the expense related to properly handling such waste, the options for disposing of such materials are limited.
The Village of Hoffman Estates provides information related to household hazardous waste disposal events and facilities located in the area where hazardous materials may be disposed of.
- Location: Waste is accepted at 156 Fort Hill Drive, Naperville, IL 60540, next to the Naperville Public Works Service Center.
- Hours: Saturdays and Sundays from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Accepted materials: Visit the Naperville facility's website for details.
- Exclusions: Only household waste can be brought to the facility; no business or medical waste will be allowed.
- Removal: Please package items safely for transit. Because waste will be removed by waste-handling professionals, it is recommended that all waste be clearly labeled and placed in the trunk area of your vehicle. Call 630-420-6095 for more information.
For more information on household hazardous waste collection visit the SWANCC website or the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency (IEPA) website.
While special care must be taken to avoid improper disposal of many hazardous household materials, the IEPA has declared both latex-based paint and used cooking oil exempt from household hazardous waste. Both materials may be disposed of in the trash but MUST be made into a SOLID form, by pouring kitty litter or some equivalent into the liquid, and then sealing the container. Groot Industries will not take these materials in liquid form.
Dispose of Prescription Drugs
Here are some options for residents who would like to properly dispose of unused and outdated prescription drugs:
- The Hoffman Estates Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) accepts unused pharmaceutical drugs and sharps (syringes, needles and lancets) on the first Wednesday of each month from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Residents should use the Health and Human Services entrance at the south side of the Village Hall, 1900 Hassell Road. Any used sharps should be contained within a sturdy and hard disposal container. Call HHS at 847-781-4850 with any questions.
- Permanent collection sites for household hazardous waste accept old and outdated medicine. The closest facility to Hoffman Estates is in Naperville at 156 Fort Hill Drive, next to the Naperville Public Works Center. Please see this link for a list of accepted materials.
- If all else fails, crush unused pills, and mix them with some type of ground materials, such as coffee grounds or kitty litter, and dispose of them in the trash. While this is not the most environmentally sound method, it is effective in preventing unintended individuals from using or ingesting non-prescribed medications. This EPA flyer (PDF) provides instructions on the best way to dispose of medicines in your trash.
Do not dispose of any medications by flushing them or discarding them in the sewer system. Page two of this flyer provides a visual explanation of how pharmaceuticals may enter the water stream.