This page is dedicated to the activities of the Sustainability Commission. You will find notices for upcoming meeting and events, as well as information about the Commission's activities in support of an environmentally-aware sustainable community.
Tuesday, March 6, 2018 at 6:00 p.m.
Community Pride Awards - Details on the 2018 program to be announced Summer 2018
This program, sponsored by the Sustainability Commission, recognizes and honors three “best” landscaping categories:
• Single-family detached home
• Single-family attached home
• Neighborhood or homeowners association
To nominate a property you think deserves recognition, complete our online form!
We also recognize beautiful properties that incorporate “green” practices, such as using rain barrels, composting or using nontoxic methods of pest and weed control.
For additional yard maintenance tips, check the Commission Resources section at the bottom of this page for the SWANCC Eco-Landscaping Guide. Together, we can keep Hoffman Estates growing green!
Village Document Destruction & Recycling Event - Summer 2018
This annual event was a success for 2017, serving more than 900 vehicles! Be on the lookout for details on our 2018 event!
Build a Birdhouse - Spring 2018
The Hoffman Estates Sustainability Commission would like to thank Carpenter's Union Local 839 and all attending residents for participating in the 2017 Build-a-Birdhouse event. We look forward to announcing information for the 2018 program at a future date.
* Participants at the 2017 Build-a-Birdhouse event
Village Improvement Day
The Hoffman Estates Stormwater and Sustainability Commissions sponsored a cleanup event on Saturday, October 1, 2016 from 10 a.m. to noon. Look for information on upcoming events here!
Citizen's Utility Board Presentation
CUB provided updates about your utility bills and explained ways to save money,
stay aware of potential problems, and register for the upcoming bill clinic. 2016 materials are available below:
Citizen's Utility Board interactive presentation for residents. Focused on ComEd and Nicor bills, electrical aggregation, and more. Click the video below for the Channel 6 HETV video recording of the presentation. This video gives answers to questions about:
- What the Citizen's Utility Board is doing to advocate for residents and reduce their costs
- Confusing mailings from energy suppliers
- Recent rate changes in energy supply and distribution
- Electricity and natural gas supplier tactics
- Smart Meter installation and information
Commission Mission Statement
Enhance the quality of life for the Residents & Businesses of Hoffman Estates by promoting a culture of environmental & social responsibility that is prosperous, healthy and sustainable. We accomplish this through advocacy and education.
Sustainability Commission Purpose
As a part of the Village's "Growing to Greenness" strategy, the Mayor and the Village Board of Trustees have appointed resident and local volunteers to the Sustainability Commission. This Commission is directly involved in making the Village an environmentally sound and sustainable place to live.
The Village's fifteen volunteer Commission members are leaders in Hoffman Estates' mission to become a "green" community. They suggest programs, services and activities that Village residents, businesses and the municipality can participate in all year-round. The Commission regularly provides support for and sponsors recycling events, and other Village activities such as utility bill clinics and Village Improvement days. The Commission also manages the Green Business Recognition Program.
Become a Commissioner
For information about becoming a member of the Sustainability Commission, please see the Volunteer Boards and Commissions webpage. If you have questions specific to Sustainability Commission activities, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Sustainability Commission is responsible for education and awareness, implementation of sustainability programs, and assisting Village operations. The Village Board looks to the Commission to consider and recommend appropriate programs and initiatives, and to administer relevant programs and activities. The following is a list of examples illustrating the purpose and accomplishments of the Sustainability Commission:
- Environmental awareness and education for residents and businesses;
- Manages the Green Business Recognition Program;
- Produces children's Build a Birdhouse event (spring);
- Assists during the annual Village Recycling Day (late summer);
- Produces the Village Clean Up Day or other outdoor clean up and education event (spring);
- Hosts the Community Pride Awards (summer);
- Reviews policies and operational procedures relating to sustainable Village activities;
- Recommends programs to the Village Board relating to sustainability;
- Reviewed plans for LEED (Green) Police Station and Fire Station 24 (2008-2009);
- Participation at local and regional environmental and community events;
- May enact new activities based upon the projects listed in the Village Sustainability Plan;
- Previously held Environmental Fair and elementary school Recycle Art Fair.
|Current Agenda||Composting Regulations|
|Approved Minutes||Stormwater Information|
|Enabling Resolution||What Our Water's Worth|
|Board & Commissions Manual||SWANCC|
|Village Sustainability Plan||SWANCC Eco-Landscaping|