Police: Village Ordinance on Animals
The following are highlights of the Village ordinance covering animals. These include the responsibilities of owners for their pets. If you would like a copy of the ordinance, it is available at the Police Department free of charge.
If you would like to report any animal violations, call 9-1-1 for an officer response.
Wildlife animal evictions and service requests can be reported to Animal Trackers Wildlife Company by phone at 847-884-1057.
All domestic animals impounded are boarded at Golf Rose Boarding Kennel 1355 Roselle Road in Schaumburg (847-885-2122).
Section 7-6-9: Nuisance Prohibited
Every owner of any animal shall exercise proper care and control of his animal to prevent it from becoming a public nuisance. It shall be deemed a nuisance and therefore unlawful to permit the following:
- To allow any animal to run at large in the Village at any time.
- To permit any animal to enter any place where food or beverages are stored, prepared, served or sold to the general public or any other public building or hall; provided, however, that this section shall not apply to any blind person using a trained seeing-eye dog.
- To permit any dog to enter a public park unless restrained by a leash except within Park District-designated dog parks.
- To allow any place where any animal is or may be kept to become unclean or unsanitary. Unsanitary as herein defined shall mean a condition which is likely to attract vermin or rodents or endanger the public health or welfare of the surrounding area.
- To allow excessive or untimely noise causing annoyance and discomfort to surrounding neighbors so as to disturb the reasonable use and enjoyment of their property.
- To permit any animal to molest passersby, chase vehicles, attack persons or other animals, deposit excretory matter on property other than that of the owner, damage property or allow acts of a similar nature.
- Create noxious or offensive odors.
Animal licenses and number of pets
All dogs and cats must have displayed a valid Village animal license. This license can be purchased at the Village Hall. Proof of rabies vaccination must be shown.
It is unlawful for any person to keep more than five dogs or five cats (or combination thereof) within the Village, with the exception that a litter of pups or kittens may be kept for a period of time not exceeding six months from birth.
Section 7-6-11: Care to be Provided
Each owner shall provide the following for his animals:
- Sufficient quantity of good and wholesome food and water.
- Proper protection and shelter from the weather.
- Veterinary care when needed to prevent suffering.
- Humane care and treatment.
Vicious dog (definition):
- Any dog with a known propensity, tendency or disposition to attack unprovoked, to cause injury to, or otherwise threaten the safety of human beings or domestic animals.
- Any dog which, without provocation, attacks or bites, or has attacked or bitten, a human being or domestic animal.
- Any dog owned or harbored primarily or in part for the purpose of dog fighting, or any dog trained for dog fighting.
Rules for vicious animals:
- When outside of home, the dog must be kept in a pen or structure having secured sides and secured top attached to the sides. If the structure is not secured to a bottom, the sides must be embedded into the ground no less than 12 inches.
- The dog must be securely muzzled and retrained by a chain or leash and under control of a person.
- "Vicious Dog on Premises" sign must be displayed in a prominent place on the owner's premises and on the pen or kennel.
- All owners of "vicious" dogs must notify the Village of Hoffman Estates at 847-882-9100. The Hoffman Estates Police Department will be conducting home checks to insure compliance with this ordinance.