The Village allows residents and businesses to hold special events such as block parties, on public property and streets. Special events held on private property that are open to the general public also require a special events application. Although garage sales are held on private property, they do require a free permit.
Read information below for requirements for each type of special event:
Special Events Application
A Special Event Permit is needed for:
- All outdoor events held on Village property and/or deemed to significantly impact operations
- Events that require street closures
- Events that require closure of Village parking lots and/or the use of Village owned-property
- Outdoor events that will be open to the general public
If you have any questions regarding the Special Events process or application, please contact Deputy Village Manager Dan O'Malley at 847-781-2602 or email@example.com.
Events in Public Areas of the Village
Organizations and neighborhoods may apply to hold special events in the public areas of the Village. This includes Village streets and the Virginia Mary Hayter Village Green.
- Virginia Mary Hayter Village Green policies and procedures
- Block Party Application (PDF). Please note that a petition for street closure needs to be signed by all residents affected by the road closure. Please submit block party applications to Sue Lessen at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Groups who would like to reserve public parks should contact the Hoffman Estates Park District.
Events on Village streets or other Village property may apply using the Special Event Application above.
Does your event require additional licenses or permits for activities or temporary structures?
Visit the Building Permit page for tents, inflatable structures, or electrical permits
Visit the Village Clerk's Business Licenses page for an event raffle license form
Guns are Prohibited
As per statute 430 ILCS 66/65, you are not allowed to conceal carry at "Special events or public gatherings conducted on property open to the public and requires the issuance of a permit from unit of local government." Please post this required no concealed carry sign (PDF) at entrances and exits of any qualifying event.
Block party information
Download a Block Party Application (PDF)
Block parties on public property must be concluded by 10 p.m.
Please contact the Public Works Department at 847-490-6800, to arrange for the use of barricades, if needed. These should be set in a manner that will allow emergency vehicles to enter and exit the area. Your barricades will be available at the Public Works Building, 2305 Pembroke, and should be returned promptly after the party in the same condition as when issued.
Please note that no alcoholic beverages may be dispensed on public property, including streets, parkways, and sidewalk areas, and also no athletic or climbing devices may be placed on the Village's rights-of-way.
Fire and Police Department personnel are available upon request for public education opportunities.
Garage sale information
As of Jan. 1, 2012, the Village requires a no-fee permit for garage sales. Signs advertising this type of sale may not be placed on any public right-of-way.