As of January 1, 2012, televisions, computer monitors, and various electronics are banned from going into Illinois landfills. See options below for recycling electronics and certain household materials.
Large Electronics Drop-off Program
In partnership with the Solid Waste Agency of Northern Cook County (SWANCC), a weekly drop-off for large electronics recycling takes place at the Hoffman Estates Village Hall, 1900 Hassell Road. This free drop-off service will be available to residents of SWANCC communities (proof of residency required) on Mondays, from 10 a.m. to noon, with the exception of holidays.
SWANCC also offers weekly recycling collection for electronics at the Glenview Transfer Station, 1151 N River Road, Des Plaines, across from the Maryville Academy, on Saturdays from 9:00 am - 11:30 am.
Daily Electronics and Household Materials Drop Off Programs
The Village Hall accepts smaller electronics and other materials year-round inside the Village Hall lobby.
Household items that can be recycled everyday at the Village Hall (1900 Hassell Road) during business hours:
- Small electronics (cellular phones, laptops, etc) - Program supports Recycling Avenue
- Printer Ink and Toner Cartridges
- CFL and Fluorescent Light bulbs The Village does NOT accept incandescent bulbs - please hand all bulbs to staff
- Mercury thermometers or wall thermostats (must be contained in a sealed plastic bag)
- Batteries (A, AA, AAA, C, D, and 9V). To prevent a fire, all rechargable (lithium, NiMh, and NiCad) and 9V batteries MUST have masking tape on contact points (ends of battery) or EACH battery must be contained in an individual self-locking plastic bag.
- Expired non-controlled prescription drugs are collected at the Department of Health and Human Services on the first Wednesday of each month. For more information, call 847-781-4850. See information about medicine disposal.
Electronics Recycling Pickup Service
Groot will pick up and recycle a maximum of six electronic items with an arranged curbside collection. There is no size limitation on items but this must be scheduled 24 hours prior and there is a fee for this service. Call Groot at 800-244-1977 to scheduled a pickup for electronics.
Periodically in the summer, the Village hosts a document destruction event. This year's event was held on Saturday, August 13, 2016. At the event, residents may bring up to six banker boxes or paper bags of documents to be shredded in a truck onsite. The service is free to all SWANCC community residents.
See Upcoming Events