Electronics such as televisions, computer monitors, and cell phones are banned from going into Illinois landfills. See options below for recycling electronics and certain household materials.
Large Electronics Drop-off Program
The Village of Hoffman Estates and its partner, the Solid Waste Agency of Northern Cook County (SWANCC), offer a seasonal drop-off for large electronics, which runs each year from April through November. This free drop-off service is available to residents of SWANCC communities (proof of residency required).
Hoffman Estates Village Hall
1900 Hassell Road, Hoffman Estates
2018 Dates: April 16 through November 19
Collection will be closed on national holidays
SWANCC also offers year-round weekly recycling collection for electronics at the Glenview Transfer Station, 3 Providence Way, Des Plaines, across from the Maryville Academy, on Saturdays from 9:00 am - 11:30 am. This free drop-off service is available to residents of SWANCC communities (proof of residency required).
Daily Electronics and Household Materials Drop Off Programs
The Village Hall accepts smaller electronics and other materials year-round inside the Village Hall lobby.
Household items that can be recycled every day at the Village Hall (1900 Hassell Road) during business hours:
- Small electronics (cellular phones, laptops, etc) - Program supports Recycling Avenue
- Printer Ink and Toner Cartridges
- CFL and Fluorescent Light bulbs The Village does NOT accept incandescent bulbs - please hand all bulbs to staff
- Mercury thermometers or wall thermostats (must be contained in a sealed plastic bag)
- Expired non-controlled prescription drugs are collected at the Department of Health and Human Services on the first Wednesday of each month. For more information, call 847-781-4850. See information about medicine disposal.
- Batteries - Please dispose of alkaline/household batteries in the regular trash, as these contain no harmful compounds. Visit SWANCC's website for details on recycling rechargeable and other types of batteries.
Electronics Recycling Pickup Service
Groot will pick up and recycle a maximum of six electronic items with an arranged curbside collection. There is no size limitation on items but this must be scheduled 24 hours prior and there is a fee for this service. Call Groot at 800-244-1977 to scheduled a pickup for electronics.
The Village hosts an annual recycling and document destruction event. The event for 2017 was held on August 19. Be on the lookout for next year's event, typically held on a Saturday in August. At the event, residents may bring up to six banker boxes or paper bags of documents to be shredded in a truck onsite. The service is free to all SWANCC community residents.
See Upcoming Events