Electronics such as televisions, computer monitors, and cell phones are banned from going into Illinois landfills. See options below for recycling electronics and certain household materials.
Large Electronics Drop-off Program
See electronics accepted for recycling. Note that due to recent changes in legislation, small household goods and some other materials will no longer be accepted in 2019 - please be sure to confirm that your materials will be accepted via the link above.
The Village of Hoffman Estates and its partner, the Solid Waste Agency of Northern Cook County (SWANCC), offer a seasonal drop-off for large electronics, which runs each year from April through November. This free drop-off service is available to residents of SWANCC communities (proof of residency required).
Hoffman Estates Village Hall
1900 Hassell Road, Hoffman Estates
Mondays: 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.
2019 Dates: April 1 through November 25
Collection will be closed on national holidays and may be closed due to severe weather.
The Village's annual one-day recycling event is scheduled for Saturday, August 17, 2019. More information coming soon!
SWANCC also offers year-round weekly recycling collection for electronics at the Glenview Transfer Station, 3 Providence Way, Des Plaines, across from the Maryville Academy, on Saturdays from 9:00 am - 11:30 a.m. This free drop-off service is available to residents of SWANCC communities (proof of residency required).
Please note: Due to recent changes in legislation, the following items will no longer be accepted at SWANCC events or permanent drop off locations:
- Power tools/cords
- Small home appliances (blenders, coffee makers, lamps, etc.)
- Stereo equipment
If these items are not worthy of donation (see SWANCC’s Reuse and Recycling Directory for possible outlets), they can be thrown away in the garbage.
Daily Electronics and Household Materials Drop Off Programs
The Village Hall accepts smaller electronics and other materials year-round inside the Village Hall lobby.
Household items that can be recycled every day at the Village Hall (1900 Hassell Road) during business hours:
- Small electronics (cellular phones, laptops, etc) - Program supports Recycling Avenue
- Printer Ink and Toner Cartridges
- CFL and Fluorescent Light bulbs The Village does NOT accept incandescent bulbs - please hand all bulbs to staff
- Mercury thermometers or wall thermostats (must be contained in a sealed plastic bag)
- Expired non-controlled prescription drugs are collected at the Department of Health and Human Services on the first Wednesday of each month. For more information, call 847-781-4850. See information about medicine disposal.
- Batteries - Please dispose of alkaline/household batteries in the regular trash, as these contain no harmful compounds. Visit SWANCC's website for details on recycling rechargeable and other types of batteries.
Electronics Recycling Pickup Service
Groot will pick up and recycle a maximum of six electronic items with an arranged curbside collection. There is no size limitation on items but this must be scheduled 24 hours prior and there is a fee for this service. Call Groot at 800-244-1977 to scheduled a pickup for electronics.
The Village of Hoffman Estates and Groot are hosting a shredding event at Village Hall on Saturday, April 20, 2019. The event will take place in the main parking lot, 1900 Hassell Road, from noon to 3 p.m. Hoffman Estates residents only - please make sure documents are free of metal clips, plastic sleeves, folders, binders, etc.
The Village also hosts an annual recycling and document destruction event on a Saturday in August. The 2019 event is scheduled for Saturday, August 17. Be on the lookout for information about this year's event! Residents may bring up to six banker boxes or paper bags of documents to be shredded in a truck onsite. The service is free to all SWANCC community residents.
See upcoming SWANCC recycling events