- Program Overview
- Service Days and Areas
- Hours of Collection
- Garbage Collection Containers
- Recyclable Materials
- Household Hazardous Waste
- Yard Waste
- Special Pickup Charges
- Roll-Off Dumpster Requirements
- Holiday Schedule
- Styrofoam Disposal
- SWANCC Newsletter
For information on preparation of materials and a list of acceptable materials, click here (PDF) to download the Village of Hoffman Estates Solid Waste and Recycling Guide.
The Village of Hoffman Estates entered into an extension of the residential service agreement with Groot Industries, Inc., for solid waste and recycling services in September 2008. Garbage, recycling, and yard waste are all picked up once a week on the same day in each service area. Different trucks collect the three types of material, so they are not picked up at the same time. Route schedules for trucks may vary weekly.
Appliance pickup must be scheduled with Groot prior to pickup at no extra charge. To schedule an appliance pickup, contact Groot at 800-244-1977. If you have specific questions or would like to file a complaint, please contact the Village Manager's office at 847-781-2600 or by email.
Click here (PDF) for a complete program overview of Groot services.
Click here (PDF) for a senior and hardship rate form.
Changes to Billing Structure - ***NEW as of MAY 1, 2015***
Due to the new agreement with Groot, the utility bill will include both utility and residential refuse collection fees, beginning May 1, 2015. Residents will no longer receive a separate bill from Groot. Instead, these services will be billed monthly with your water bill.
Were you set up with auto-payments with Groot? You will need to sign up for the Village auto-pay system to continue that payment option. Please visit the Water Billing page for the Application for Auto Payment (ACH).
Are you set up with auto-payments for your water bill? This form of payment will now also include the refuse portion of your bill.
Commercial accounts will continue to be billed by Groot.
For water and refuse billing questions, please call 847-843-4824.
- On Monday, residences NORTH of the Jane Addams Memorial Tollway (I-90) are serviced.
- On Wednesday, residences SOUTH of the Jane Addams Memorial Tollway (I-90) are serviced.
Hours of Collection
Collection begins at 7 a.m. Residents must have their materials at the curb by that time. Groot will not return to pickup late set-outs. Residents may not set materials out before 6 p.m. on the night before collection and must remove their toter by 10 p.m. the day of collection.
Garbage Collection Containers
Plastic bags or Groot-rented refuse toters are permitted. Village ordinance prohibits the use of any other refuse container. Bags cannot exceed 32 gallons in capacity, and bags or boxes cannot exceed 50 pounds in weight. Overweight or overcapacity containers will not be picked up. Furthermore, bags must be securely tied shut, and boxes must be sealed in such a fashion that no trash can fall, blow away, or leak out.
Refuse toters are available in 65-gallon and 95-gallon sizes. A 35-gallon size is available for senior/hardship-rate participants. The toter's lid must be shut tightly. Additional bags or items that will not fit securely in the toter will be collected if set out at the curb next to the toter.
Refuse toters can be leased from Groot for a charge of $1 per month. For information regarding toter service, contact Groot directly at 800-244-1977.
Click here to learn more about electronics recycling options.
A residential recycling toter program was introduced in October 2008 in conjunction with the Village's contract extension. Recycling toters are given to all residents at no extra charge. The Village has an extensive single-stream recycling program. Residents can combine aluminum, glass, plastic, paper, and cardboard into a single recycling toter. Items do not need to be sorted. Click HERE to see what materials Groot accepts for recycling.
All residents will receive recycling toters from Groot Industries, Inc. If residents still have old recycling bins, they may keep them for home use or set the empty bin next to the new recycling toter on the curbside service day to be picked up and recycled by Groot.
Fast Facts about the Recycling Toter Program
- All single family homes will receive one 65-gallon recycling toter
- All townhomes and homes currently receiving the senior/hardship rate will receive one 35-gallon recycling toter
- Recycling toters will be green, but will be clearly marked "Recycling Only" on the lid
- Recyclable materials can be commingled in the carts -- paper, plastic, cans, and bottles do not need to be separated
- Old recycling bins only held 30 gallons of recyclables and had a larger footprint than the new recycling toters
- The Village suggests marking your house number on the side of your recycling toter
- Recycling toter are provided at NO CHARGE to the residents. There is no additional cost for this service
- To replace a damaged, lost or stolen recycling toter, please contact Groot Industries at 800-244-1977
For questions related to the recycling toter program, please contact the Village Manager's Office at 847-781-2600, or Groot Industries, Inc., at 800-244-1977.
The Village has an extensive single-stream recycling program. Residents can combine aluminum, glass, plastic, paper, and cardboard into a single recycling toter. Items do not need to be sorted. Commingled materials include aluminum cans, glass jars and bottles, steel cans, milk jugs, plastic water/pop bottles, laundry detergent bottles, cardboard, chipboard (cereal boxes), junk mail, magazines, newspaper, office paper, and phone books.
How do I prepare materials for recycling?
- PRECYCLE: If you can't recycle it, avoid buying it in the first place
- Remove plastic lids and place in the garbage or reuse in another way
- Steel lids from glass jars and bottles can be recycled -- remove before placing in cart
- Rinse out all bottles, cans, and containers
- Labels do NOT need to be removed from glass, plastic, or metal containers
- Flatten bulky materials to make more room in the recycling toter
- Shredded paper should be put in the recycling toter inside a PAPER bag.
- DON'T recycle broken glass, light bulbs, ceramic cups or dishes, mirrors or window panes
- DON'T put materials with food residue in your recycling toter
- DON'T contaminate your recyclables with garbage
For recycling of all other products not covered under the residential recycling program, please visit the SWANCC website for recycling resources.
For a simple one-page guide on recyclable materials and preparation in Hoffman Estates, click HERE.
As of January 1, 2012, televisions, computer monitors, and various electronics are banned from going into Illinois landfills. Groot will pick up and recycle a maximum of six electronic items with an arranged
curbside collection. There is no size limitation on items but this must be scheduled 24 hours prior and there is a fee for this service. Throughout the year, the Village of Hoffman Estates offers various opportunities to dispose of unwanted electronic items for free. Visit the Village’s website at www.hoffmanestates.org/green, or call 847-882-9100 for more information about electronics recycling events.
Household Hazardous Waste
Hazardous materials, such as insecticides and oil-based paint, cannot -- by law -- be disposed via the regular garbage pickup. Due to the expense related to properly handling such waste, the options for disposing of such materials are limited.
The Village of Hoffman Estates provides information related to household hazardous waste disposal events and facilities located in the area where hazardous materials may be disposed of.
- Location: Waste is accepted at 156 Fort Hill Drive, Naperville, IL 60540, next to the Naperville Public Works Service Center. THIS IS A NEW LOCATION.
- Hours: Saturdays and Sundays from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Exclusions: Only household waste can be brought to the facility; no business or medical waste will be allowed
- Removal: Please package items safely for transit. Because waste will be removed by waste-handling professionals, it is recommended that all waste be placed in the trunk area of your vehicle. Email email@example.com for more information
Click here to view other locations for household chemical waste collection and disposal.
For more information on household hazardous waste collection visit the SWANCC website or the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency (IEPA) website.
While special care must be taken to avoid improper disposal of many hazardous household materials, the IEPA has declared both latex-based paint and used cooking oil exempt from household hazardous waste. Both materials may be disposed of in the trash but MUST be made into a SOLID form, by pouring kitty litter or some equivalent into the liquid, and then sealing the container. Groot Industries will not take these materials in liquid form.
- Yard waste stickers: Yard waste stickers may be purchased at Village Hall, directly from Groot, via the Village's website, or from local retailers. Stickers are $2.75 each. Yard waste stickers will be available for purchase March 30.
- Subscription service: Residents who wish to sign up for a yard waste subscription should contact Groot directly. The subscription allows for unlimited yard waste pickup from April 1 through Nov. 30
- Alternative/Composting: Residents who wish to reduce or avoid yard waste costs should use mulching mowers, leaf shredders, or backyard compost piles. Click here (PDF) for the Village's yard waste composting regulations.
Collection period: Yard waste collection occurs from April through the end of November, only. A special two-week collection period for holiday trees and greenery is announced each season. Check the Citizen newsletter, local newspapers, or the Village's website for details.
Acceptable yard waste: Illinois state law prohibits the land-filling of yard waste, as follows:
- Grass clippings and leaves
- Branches and brush
- Planting materials: garden plants, flowers, weeds, vines, bark pieces, pine cones, etc.
Unacceptable materials (treat as garbage):
- Garden vegetables and fruit
- Tree trunks, stumps, and large limbs
- Fence posts, railroad ties, firewood, and other wood objects
- Sod, earth, and rocks
Bags and bundles: Residents who wish to set out their yard waste at the curb for collection must use 30-gallon biodegradable Kraft paper bags designed for yard waste. No plastic bags are acceptable. Branches that do not fit into bags must be bundled.
Bags and bundles must each be stickered with a yard waste disposal sticker. Affix disposal stickers to bags so that they are visible from the street. Wrap disposal stickers around a branch in the bundle. Toters are not available for yard waste collection.
Yard waste toters (95 Gal.) are available for rent (with an annual yard waste subscription) by calling Groot at 1-800-244-1977.
Special Pickup Charges
Residents may arrange for collection of large amounts (exceeding one cubic yard -- roughly nine square feet) of refuse or debris, such as "spring cleanup," move-in, or move-out rubbish. Special pickup service is also available for large amounts of yard waste. Contact Groot directly for an estimate of charges and scheduling. Billing is by the cubic yard. Dumpster rental is also available.
The Village refuse franchise program with Groot Industries, Inc., requires all permanent and temporary roll-off dumpsters to be provided through Groot.
Whether you are a resident who is remodeling or cleaning out your residence or a contractor at a construction site (commercial or residential), Groot must be contracted for waste removal.
Groot provides all the standard "open top" dumpsters and all sizes of compactor roll-off services. For delivery of a roll-off dumpster, please contact Groot's roll-off department at 800-244-1977 or online here.
The Code Enforcement Division will be checking for Groot dumpsters. If any dumpster other than a Groot dumpster is being used at a site, a citation may be issued, which requires an appearance before the Village Adjudication Hearing Officer.
- New Year's Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
If the holiday falls on or before your scheduled day of collections, service will be delayed by one day for the remainder of the holiday week. If the Holiday falls on a Sunday, Groot will observe the Holiday on Monday, delaying service by one day for the remainder of the week.
Education programs are an important benefit of Solid Waste Agency of Northern Cook County (SWANCC) membership. The SWANCC newsletter, Recycling Etc., describes programs SWANCC is offering to our area schools. We hope you find this newsletter both enlightening and useful.