Volunteers help our community work
There are several ways to get involved as a volunteer for the Village of Hoffman Estates! Hoffman Estates has a variety of Boards and Commissions and community members are welcome to volunteer on occasion for Village events.
- If you are interested in serving on any of the commissions listed below, please fill out this application:
- If you are ONLY interested in volunteering for Village events on occasion, please fill out this application:
Thank you! We look forward to receiving your information. If you are unable to access the online application system please call 847-781-2610.
For more information on the Village's volunteer Boards and Commissions, click here.
Village of Hoffman Estates Boards and Commissions
- ARTS COMMISSION – shall encourage, support and promote the Arts. Develop an active awareness and appreciation of the Arts. Ensure that all citizens get the fullest benefit of the artistic program available through the Commission. Take an active role in showcasing works and performances of artists to the general public on an annual basis. Click here to visit the Arts Commission website.
- BICYCLE AND PEDESTRIAN ADVISORY COMMITTEE (BPAC) – charged with making Hoffman Estates a bicycle- and pedestrian-friendly community. Work to implement the Comprehensive Bicycle Plan and Map; advocate for programs to encourage biking and walking for recreation and transportation; promote safety and educational campaigns, and encourage more usage for bikes and pedestrians through activities such as Village bicycle rides; and work with neighboring communities to promote connectivity. Visit the Bikes and Peds page for more information on area projects and activities.
- CAPITAL IMPROVEMENTS BOARD (CIP) – shall recommend needs of public structures in terms of expansion and new construction, recommend plans for rebuilding of roadways within the Village and recommend priorities of capital construction needs including timetables, scope of work and financing considerations.
- CELEBRATIONS COMMISSION
- CELTIC FEST COMMISSION – click here for more information
- COMMISSION FOR DISABLED CITIZENS – shall develop services which will assist the disabled members of the community meeting practical problems and adjusting to the changing circumstances and finances which affect the disabled. Help decrease the sense of isolation, loneliness and dependence that often effect the disabled. Help enrich the social and intellectual life of the disabled through educational and social programs. Assess the housing needs for all of the community's people. Inform the Board of Trustees of state and federal legislation affecting the elderly and disabled.
- COMMISSION FOR SENIOR CITIZENS – shall develop services which will assist the elderly members of the community meeting practical problems and adjusting to the changing circumstances and finances which effect the elderly. Help decrease the sense of isolation, loneliness and dependence which often effect the elderly. Help enrich the social and intellectual life of the elderly through educational and social programs. Organize the interests of the elderly community to improve the climate of living for the elderly, and provide information and referrals to the elderly. Inform the Board of Trustees of state and federal legislation affecting the elderly.
- COMPREHENSIVE PLAN ADVISORY COMMITTEE
- CULTURAL AWARENESS COMMISSION – shall develop services that will assist new residents of the community meeting practical problems and adjusting to the changing circumstances. Help decrease the sense of isolation and loneliness that may affect all residents who are new to the community. Help enrich the social and intellectual life of all residents through educational and social programs. Organize the interests of the ethnically diverse community to improve the climate of living and provide information and referrals. Make recommendations regarding problems and issues affecting a culturally diverse community. Develop and maintain a knowledge base regarding the needs, the problem areas, cultural characteristics and the resources available to eliminate adversity.
- ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT COMMISSION – shall be composed of twelve community stakeholders (Commissioners), the Village President, and two Ex-Officio staff members (Village Manager and the Director of Economic Development.) The goal of the Commission is to assist in the expansion of economic development in the Village primarily through marketing activity. Marketing efforts are planned, executed, evaluated, and modified. Commission members are appointed by the Village President and approved by a majority of the Village Board of Trustees.
- ELECTRICAL COMMISSION
- EMERGING TECHNOLOGIES ADVISORY COMMISSION
- FIRE AND POLICE COMMISSION – shall appoint all officers and members of the Fire and Police Departments of the municipality except the Chief of Police, Assistant Chiefs of Police, Fire Chief and Deputy Fire Chief, Battalion Chiefs and Fire Marshal. The sole authority to issue certificates of appointment to Firefighters or Patrol Officers shall be vested in the Board of Fire and Police Commissioners. For Fire and Police Commission rules and regulations, click here.
- FIREFIGHTERS PENSION BOARD
- FOURTH OF JULY COMMISSION – shall be responsible for all activities related to the celebration of the Independence Day holiday. Click here for more information.
- HISTORICAL SITES COMMISSION – shall recommend the period structures will reflect. Recommend the use of buildings once restored and furnished. Recommend plans for perpetual maintenance and oversight. Recommend and participate in fundraising activities. Recommend an overall plan for the preservation and documentation of all historical sites in the Village.
- LOCAL HISTORIAN
- PLANNING AND ZONING COMMISSION – click here for more information.
- PLATZKONZERT COMMISSION - shall organize events and activities relating to the Platzkonzert Germanfest designed to celebrate diversity, art and culture in the Village of Hoffman Estates. Coordinate a communications and marketing strategy relating to the promotion of Platzkonzert Germanfest to Village of Hoffman Estates residents, businesses, key stakeholders, and regional community partners.
- POLICE PENSION BOARD
- ROAD IMPROVEMENT IMPACT FEE TRAFFIC ADVISORY COMMISSION
- SIGN CODE ADVISORY COMMITTEE
- SISTER CITIES COMMISSION – shall recommend a Sister City, provide leadership and recognition of the Sister Cities Program and to promote relationship of the Sister City to the citizens of Hoffman Estates and such Sister City and offer opportunities for exchange. Click here for more information.
- STORMWATER MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE
- SUSTAINABILITY COMMISSION – in 2013, the Environmental and Green Initiatives Advisory commissions were merged into a new Sustainability Commission. Click here for more information.
- UTILITY COMMISSION – shall establish and maintain liaison necessary with the Illinois Commerce Commission and the franchised utilities in the Village in order to assist and cooperate with them in matters of administrative rulemaking, education and laws. Advise, consult and cooperate with other governmental agencies for the improvement of the utility service of the Village.
- VETERANS' MEMORIAL COMMISSION – shall coordinate activities at the Veterans' Memorial, and recommend and participate in fundraising activities. Click here for more information.
- YOUTH COMMISSION – shall assess the needs of young people in the Village and formulate goals and objectives and guidelines to meet these needs. Become aware of programs that may be available to serve young people in the community and make recommendations to the Board as to the advisability of support by the Village. Provide citizen coordination for the Village's Peer Jury Program.