Recycling & shredding event Saturday, August 19
The Village of Hoffman Estates, in partnership with the Solid Waste Agency of Northern Cook County (SWANCC), will host a free one-day recycling drop-off and document destruction event.
The free drop-off will take place on Saturday, Aug. 19, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Susan H. Kenley-Rupnow Public Works Center, 2305 Pembroke Ave. Simply drive to the Public Works Center, and representatives from the Sustainability Commission, the Village, and SWANCC will unload the recyclables from your car!
The following materials will be accepted:
• Up to six file-size boxes or grocery bags of paper documents per resident, to be cross-shredded on site by Accurate Document Destruction. Do not bring paper in plastic bags. Plastic, metal clips and binders should be removed.
• Expired drugs/sharps
• Fluorescent and compact fluorescent lamp (CFL) light bulbs
• Printer cartridges
• Latex (water-based) paint, with the following associated cost: quart $2, one-gallon container $3.50, two-gallon container $5, five-gallon container $10
The following electronics will also be accepted:
• Computers and computer equipment/components (e.g., cables, keyboards, mouse, etc.)
• Printers, scanners, copy machines and fax machines
• Small home appliances (e.g., toasters, blenders, etc.)
• Cell phones, PDAs and tablets
• Stereos equipment (no wood) and MP3 players
• Cameras and camcorders
• Cellphones, landline phones and answering machines
• Power tools and cords
• TVs (no wood) and VHS, DVD and CD players (no tapes or discs)
• DVRs, cable and satellite receivers, and converter boxes
• Videogame consoles
Do NOT bring humidifiers/dehumidifiers, air conditioners, vacuum cleaners, refrigerators and other large home appliances.
There is no cost to attend, but this event is for residents of SWANCC-member communities only, and proof of residency is required.
Materials from businesses, institutions or schools will not be accepted. If you cannot come to the Hoffman Estates recycling day, you may attend any SWANCC recycling event (proof of residency required). Visit www.swancc.org for more collection dates.
All paper, including medical records, bank statements and retired tax forms, is shredded on site by Accurate Document Destruction, a division of Groot Industries, Inc., and all electronics will be recycled by Com2 Recycling Solutions. For more information about these companies, visit www.shredd.net or www.com2recycling.com.
For a list of acceptable items, as well as information about this recycling event and other "Green" programs, visit www.hoffmanestates.org/green.