Newspapers covering Hoffman Estates:
Drug Take-back event returns to Hoffman Estates
The Drug Enforcement Agency reinstated the controlled and non-controlled substance take back program for a one-day event on Saturday, September 26, 2015.
From 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., the Hoffman Estates Police Department, 411 W. Higgins Road, will be collecting prescription and over-the-counter expired drugs. Please note the following:
- No liquids or needles will be accepted
- Drop-offs will only be accepted during the listed time, no exceptions.
- The pills do not need to be in their original containers. Some people like to bag them so they can recycle the plastic containers; this is okay.
- All communities are welcome to drop off materials, not just Hoffman Estates residents.
If you cannot make the drop off on September 26, there are a few other options for you to drop off expired drugs:
- The Hoffman Estates Department of Health and Human Services accepts expired non-controlled drugs and sharps (in appropriate containers) on the first Wednesday of each month at the Health and Human Services entrance (first entrance at 1900 Hassell Road).
- Controlled substances are accepted for proper disposal at Household Hazardous Waste collection sites.
- If all else fails, crush up any unused pills, combine with something undesirable such as kitty litter, old coffee grounds, or other garbage and dispose of in your trash. Do NOT flush medications down the toilet or pour down the drain; doing so pollutes water treatment.
See press release (PDF)