Seasonal Code Inspector
- Type:Limited Term
- Salary/Pay Rate:$12.00/hr
- Posted Date:03/02/2018
Starting May/June for approx. 8 - 10 weeks
approx. 30 hours per week
(Start/end dates and hours dependent on candidate availability)
Schedule will primarily be Monday – Friday between 8 a.m. and 5p.m. (occasionally until 8p.m.)
Some possible weekend hours between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.
Performs a variety of inspections and other duties related to zoning, permitting, property maintenance and code enforcement.
Responds to and interacts with residents, employees, and/or others within and outside the organization in a courteous, professional, and effective manner.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job function satisfactorily. The required competencies listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required for successful job performance.
Working Knowledge of:
Ability to learn basic code enforcement principles and inspection techniques.
Ability to learn property maintenance and zoning codes and ordinances.
Prepare, organize and maintain inspection field data, reports and violation notices.
Analyze complex situations, problems and data and use sound judgment in drawing conclusions and making decisions.
Comprehend and articulate facts and relationships in detail; summarize and write clearly.
Produce or obtain reports, codes/ordinances, and photographs for evidence or exhibits.
Interact with residents and business owners on a daily basis – explain Village code requirements and violations; and answer questions they may have.
Follow verbal and written instructions.
Respond to and interact with customers, employees and others within and outside the organization in a courteous and professional manner.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Routinely patrols and inspects properties throughout the Village to monitor compliance with local codes using Village vehicle for transportation. Documents field conditions and/or violations. Meets with property owners, tenants, residents, contractors, developers, businesses, etc. to review and explain code requirements and violations or potential violations; secures code compliance. Coordinates efforts, with other members of the Code Enforcement Division, other Village departments and Corporation Counsel.
• Routinely removes signs illegally posted in the public right of way when identified and can be removed safely. Reports work being done without required permits to their supervisor.
• Routinely patrols the Village identifying properties where garbage, recycling or yard waste has been improperly stored or prepared for collection. Will routinely stop at properties to educate residents on the Village collection program and special pick-up requirements/options.
• Responds to and documents complaints of alleged code violations relating to signage, building occupancy, home occupations, nuisances, housing conditions, zoning, or other code related matters. Provides information to persons who request information or assistance in code enforcement related matters.
• Distributes a variety of correspondence, memoranda, notices, flyers, brochures and reports relating to code enforcement issues and actions. Maintains a variety of logs and records related to inspection and enforcement activities. Assists Code Enforcement Officers in obtaining and preparing exhibits or other evidence for court as required. Appearance in court may be required.
• Operates and properly maintains all tools and equipment needed to perform the essential job functions and responsibilities listed above; PC using Microsoft Office and/or network applications, computer keyboard, motor vehicle, digital camera, telephone, copy machine, fax machine, writing utensils, while adhering to all Village policies, procedures, safety rules and practices.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND COMPUTER SKILLS
• College coursework preferred. Coursework in code enforcement, planning, law enforcement, public health or environmental health a plus.
• Excellent communication skills requires. Customer service, code enforcement or municipal government experience a plus.
• Experience with Microsoft Office required.
• Illinois Class D Driver’s License is required.
FOREIGN LANGUAGE SKILLS
Fluency in a foreign language is a plus.
Submit a resume and a Village employment application to:
Village of Hoffman Estates
Human Resources Management
1900 Hassell Road
Hoffman Estates, IL 60169
e-mail to email@example.com
The Village of Hoffman Estates is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with all applicable Federal, State and local laws regarding employment.
Because of the many submissions received, the Village is unable to contact all applicants. You will be contacted if you are chosen as an interview candidate for an open position.
Ways to Apply
All positions require a pre-employment Village-paid drug screen.
All employees must be at least 18 years of age.
The Village of Hoffman Estates is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws regarding employment.
The Village of Hoffman Estates offers rewarding employment opportunities in a wide variety of positions. Municipal government offers people the opportunity to serve the community as well as work in a professional and career fulfilling environment. Explore our employment opportunities often and consider working for a well-respected community.
The Village values employee diversity and offers an environment where shared goals, performance standards and a common vision of the future guide the efforts of every employee. Hiring, advancement and rewards depend solely on ability, performance and contribution to our organizational goals without regard to age, gender, race, ethnic origins, physical abilities, religious beliefs, sexual orientation or other perceived differences that do not relate to ability, performance and contribution at work.
The Village of Hoffman Estates Department of Human Resources Management accepts applications and resumes for all positions, except sworn police officers and firefighters, even when there are no current positions open for hiring.
Your application will be kept on file for six months and considered if a position becomes available that suits your qualifications. Because of the many submissions received, the Village is unable to contact all applicants. You will be contacted if you are chosen as an interview candidate for an open position.
Thank you for your interest in the Village of Hoffman Estates.