Associate Corporation Counsel
- Type:Full Time
- Salary/Pay Rate:$71,656/year
- Posted Date:09/27/2017
40 hours per week, Monday – Friday between the hours of 8:00a.m. – 5:00p.m. and as otherwise necessary to fulfill the duties of the position.
The Village of Hoffman Estates is seeking an attorney to join its in-house Corporation Counsel team.
Under general direction, the Associate Corporation Counsel performs a variety of legal work for the Village. Works cooperatively with the in-house team of attorneys to provide legal advice and assistance to the Village. This includes, but is not limited to: responding to questions; researching state, federal and local laws and cases; drafting and reviewing legal documents, such as contracts and ordinances; assisting in litigation discovery; assisting in prosecution of ordinance violations in county court and at local administrative hearings; assisting with property tax issues including commercial property tax appeals and land use development, including plats and incentive agreements.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job function satisfactorily. The required competencies listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required for successful job performance.
• Professional knowledge of general legal principles and practices, particularly municipal law and other laws effecting local government operations.
• Knowledge and experience in one or more of the following: pre-trial preparation and trials/appeals; administrative law practice and municipal code adjudication hearings; property tax issues including commercial property tax appeals; and land use development, including plats and incentive agreements.
• Knowledge of the process required to draw on or cash in on letters of credit and bonds, including contractor bonds for the benefit of completing a project.
• Basic litigation experience – a plus.
• Skill in analyzing issues in light of the law and interpreting the law accurately.
• Skill in legal research methodologies.
• Skill in effective communications, both oral and written, with individuals from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
• Skill in preparing legal opinions/memoranda.
• Skill in public speaking.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Researches issues to determine if proposed actions, policies/procedures are legally sound.
• Drafts ordinances, resolutions, motions, petitions, court documents including pleadings and discovery responses, briefs, contracts, citations, deeds, and leases.
• Pre-trial preparation.
• Provides legal advice to Village officials and Village staff, including Department Directors. Provides legal advice to the P&Z Commission regarding land use/development related questions. Answers questions related to hearings, property rights, property line locations and neighbor issues.
• Reviews and assists FOIA Officers and staff in responding to Freedom of Information Act requests and appeals, and modifies internal procedures when appropriate.
• Assists with the preparation of amendments and additions to the Municipal Code and provides same to Corporation Counsel for forwarding to the Village Manager and action by the Village Board.
• Assists staff in the preparation of files for litigation or for collection of outstanding debts owed the Village.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND COMPUTER SKILLS
The designated education and experience levels best describe the minimum requirement needed to fulfill the essential job functions. However, any combination of equivalent education or experience may be considered.
• Juris Doctorate (J.D.) degree from an accredited law school
• Admission to the Illinois Bar and the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
• Four – ten years related legal experience - municipal / land use/development experience preferred
• Familiarity with Circuit Court of Cook County Electronic Filing System and Public Access to Court Electronic Records (“PACER”)
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
For more detailed information please refer to the job description.
Submit a completed Village employment application with resume to:
Village of Hoffman Estates
Human Resources Management
1900 Hassell Road
Hoffman Estates, IL 60169
The Village of Hoffman Estates is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with all applicable
Federal, State and local laws regarding employment.
Ways to Apply
All positions require a pre-employment Village-paid drug screen.
All employees must be at least 18 years of age.
The Village of Hoffman Estates is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws regarding employment.
The Village of Hoffman Estates offers rewarding employment opportunities in a wide variety of positions. Municipal government offers people the opportunity to serve the community as well as work in a professional and career fulfilling environment. Explore our employment opportunities often and consider working for a well-respected community.
The Village values employee diversity and offers an environment where shared goals, performance standards and a common vision of the future guide the efforts of every employee. Hiring, advancement and rewards depend solely on ability, performance and contribution to our organizational goals without regard to age, gender, race, ethnic origins, physical abilities, religious beliefs, sexual orientation or other perceived differences that do not relate to ability, performance and contribution at work.
The Village of Hoffman Estates Department of Human Resources Management accepts applications and resumes for all positions, except sworn police officers and firefighters, even when there are no current positions open for hiring.
Your application will be kept on file for six months and considered if a position becomes available that suits your qualifications. Because of the many submissions received, the Village is unable to contact all applicants. You will be contacted if you are chosen as an interview candidate for an open position.
Thank you for your interest in the Village of Hoffman Estates.