Rental Program/Property Maintenance Supervisor
- Type:Full Time
- Salary/Pay Rate:$60,694/year
- Posted Date:09/20/2017
HOURS AND SCHEDULE
40 hours per week, Monday – Friday 8:00a.m. – 5:00p.m. and as otherwise necessary to fulfill the duties of the position.
The Village of Hoffman Estates is seeking a code enforcement professional with supervisory experience for the position of Rental Program/Property Maintenance Supervisor.
This position will perform a variety of routine and complex functions within the Code Enforcement Division of the Development Services Department, including supervision of the Code administrative support staff, Code Enforcement Officers and seasonal interns. Manages enforcement of various codes, with particular focus on property maintenance on residential and commercial properties, including the overseeing the Residential Rental License Program. The position develops cooperative processes and oversees coordination with other Village departments such as Legal, Finance, Clerk’s Office, Public Works, Police, etc.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job function satisfactorily. The required competencies listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required for successful job performance.
• Encourage, train, mentor, and provide leadership/supervision for support staff under the supervision of this position.
• Ability to create, communicate and monitor developmental objectives and performance goals for staff under the supervision of this position
• Working knowledge of Hoffman Estates Codes.
• Familiarity with administrative principles and practices.
• The ability to establish successful working relationships with customer service, inspection, technical, and management staff and other Village personnel.
• Knowledge of organizational functions of municipal government.
• Intermediate computer and software skills.
• Research, gather and analyze information.
• Prioritize, organize, plan and schedule work.
• Communicate effectively in writing and verbally.
• Ability to apply critical listening skills in a variety of contexts including: customer service, supervisory and professional situations.
• Work under pressure and/or with frequent interruptions.
• Resolve disputes and diffuse difficult situations effectively.
• Quickly and efficiently switch between different tasks.
• Interact with internal and external customers in a courteous, prompt and professional manner.
• Read and interpret procedures, codes and ordinances.
• Comprehend and evaluate problematic situations, draw conclusions and make decisions.
• Work effectively within a team environment.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Supervises administrative support staff in the daily operations of the Code Enforcement Division primarily for property maintenance and rental program issues, but also for other Code Division tasks, gives written and oral instructions, ensures Village procedures are carried out, assists with ongoing training, provides guidance and direction to staff on complex decisions, and assists with implementation of procedural changes.
• Supervises Code Enforcement Officers and oversees work related to residential and commercial property maintenance inspections, rental housing inspections, issuance of citations, Adjudication Hearing preparation, and other daily functions.
• Oversees all aspects of the Residential Rental License Program, including renewals, inspections, notifications, monitoring compliance dates, record keeping, pursuit of non-registered rentals, providing education materials, and ensuring appropriate communications with owners and tenants. Coordinates rental program issues with building permits, building/fire inspections, home occupation licensing, collections, and other Village functions, as applicable.
• Addresses inquiries and requests from internal and external customers and coordinates accurate and timely responses regarding violation cases, Code Enforcement citations, rental program, and other related items. Distributes requests to other employees and provides guidance on responses when necessary.
• Coordinates and oversees responses and fulfillment of GovQ&A and other online requests related to Code Division operations. Review violation case history, ownership, and assists with processing of code complaints, including delegation to inspectors, as necessary.
• Performs research on property ownership and occupancy status to support various Code Division activities, including determining rental status, issuance of citations, notifications, etc. Utilizes a variety of web-based and internal database sources (including utility billing), along with other investigation techniques and deductive reasoning for this work.
• Coordinates with Village legal staff on complex violation cases and in preparation for Adjudication Hearings, and attends hearings on occasion as necessary.
• Maintains FOIA certification and oversees fulfillment of FOIA requests by employees in the Code Division.
• Coordinates work and/or assists on special projects including Code amendments, technology improvements, workflow changes, and other efforts, as needed within the Division.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND COMPUTER SKILLS
The designated education and experience levels best describe the minimum requirement needed to fulfill the essential job functions. However, any combination of equivalent education or experience may be considered.
• Associate's degree (A.A.) or equivalent in relevant technical area (such as Code Enforcement, Property Maintenance, Construction Management, etc.).
• Top Tier candidates will have some municipal experience, preferably 2 - 4 years of Community Development/Code Enforcement and some direct or indirect supervisory experience.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
• Candidates with equivalent training and work experience are encouraged to apply.
For more detailed information please refer to the job description.
Submit a completed Village employment application with resume to:
Village of Hoffman Estates
Human Resources Management
1900 Hassell Road
Hoffman Estates, IL 60169
ABOUT THE COMMUNITY: With a population approaching 55,000, Hoffman Estates is a full-service community. The mission of the Village of Hoffman Estates is to continually improve the quality of life for our residents and business community by providing responsive and efficient municipal services. Our location, 30 miles west of Chicago in the Golden Corridor of Interstate 90, provides excellent access to all major attractions within the Chicagoland area and the Midwest. With an expanding population base in the region, the Village of Hoffman Estates is poised for future growth, both commercially and residentially. Ultimately, the Village of Hoffman Estates is a vivid example of a community that works to provide an excellent quality-of-life for all.
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT: Development Services consists of four divisions that coordinate all aspects of residential and commercial development in Hoffman Estates. The Building & Code Enforcement Division is responsible for the inspection of all construction to ensure the structures comply with all local building codes and ordinances; food service inspections; and property maintenance inspections to ensure compliance with appropriate code requirements.
Code Enforcement Mission Statement: To safeguard and protect the public health, safety and
general welfare of the residents of Hoffman Estates through the application of the adopted
codes and ordinances in an efficient and effective manner, through the wise use and
management of all available resources.
The Village of Hoffman Estates is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with all applicable
Federal, State and local laws regarding employment.
Ways to Apply
All positions require a pre-employment Village-paid drug screen.
All employees must be at least 18 years of age.
The Village of Hoffman Estates is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws regarding employment.
The Village of Hoffman Estates offers rewarding employment opportunities in a wide variety of positions. Municipal government offers people the opportunity to serve the community as well as work in a professional and career fulfilling environment. Explore our employment opportunities often and consider working for a well-respected community.
The Village values employee diversity and offers an environment where shared goals, performance standards and a common vision of the future guide the efforts of every employee. Hiring, advancement and rewards depend solely on ability, performance and contribution to our organizational goals without regard to age, gender, race, ethnic origins, physical abilities, religious beliefs, sexual orientation or other perceived differences that do not relate to ability, performance and contribution at work.
The Village of Hoffman Estates Department of Human Resources Management accepts applications and resumes for all positions, except sworn police officers and firefighters, even when there are no current positions open for hiring.
Your application will be kept on file for six months and considered if a position becomes available that suits your qualifications. Because of the many submissions received, the Village is unable to contact all applicants. You will be contacted if you are chosen as an interview candidate for an open position.
Thank you for your interest in the Village of Hoffman Estates.